The true confessions of a pop culture princess...

The true confessions of a pop culture princess...

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Crazy People

It would be hard to start a pop culture blog without mentioning one of my favourite movies of all time. "Crazy People" is an irreverant, light hearted and comical look at the farce that is the advertising industry. Released in 1990, it stars Dudley Moore, Darryl Hannah and Paul Reiser (remember him from the television series 'Mad About You'?) it is as relevant today as it was back then. I'd even go so far as to call it the precursor to "The Gruen Transfer" on ABC (Australia).

It centres around advertising copywriter Emory (Moore) who, following a bitter divorce, goes "insane". Frustrated by his job where he feels he is being compelled to lie to people, he decides to start creating "honest" advertising copy... and that's where the fun starts. I don't think I've been able to look at a Volvo since without remembering Emory's tagline: Buy Volvos, they're boxy but they're good. Or Jaguar: For men who'd like handjobs from beautiful women they hardly know.



The best part of the film, though, is how the public react to the "honest" ads... they love them! The movie becomes a commentary on not only the duplicity of the advertising industry but also the effect that that duplicity has on consumers. An interesting thought - do consumers really need to be lied to? Are we cognisant of this duplicity and do we require it of advertisers? Its like... when I ask my boyfriend if I look good in this dress, I don't want his honest opinion, I just want him to say yes, I look good in this dress. It's not a question so much as it is a desire for him to reinforce my own perception. So... by extension, is that what consumers need from advertisers, or would we still buy products that were honestly promoted? Comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment